- Diligently carry an umbrella at the slightest hint of rain
- Consider drinking hot water to satisfy my thirst
- Did not know that ice is not readily available everywhere.
- Regularly take a taxi or bus to traverse a city
- Use a bicycle as a regular method of transportation. (At least, not since I was a kid)
- Travel by train or bus from one city to another
- Wear a hat, coat, and sometimes gloves-indoors...while teaching, or just sitting around the house.
- That rice, vegetables, and noodles would be considered breakfast.
- Bargain with a street vendor for some item I wanted to buy.
- Did not know that milk does not taste the same in every part of the world.
- Did not know I would need to have tourist visa before I could board my flight to Australia from China
- Other than a 3 hour trip to Canada in the mid 90's, travel to a foreign country. Now, I have been to 3: China, Thailand, and Australia
- Consider a city of 2.5 million people to be a "small city"!
- Consider God to be a "western" God.
- That many of the songs in the Chinese hymnal are the same ones we sing back home.
- That it could be tricky to maneuver through cultural differences.
- That cultural differences could be such a fine teacher.
- That I could survive 5 years in a foreign country.
Monday, February 6, 2012
Things I did not know, feel, think, or do before living in China: